Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fishing Woes

Water terrifies me.

As I write this blog my husband Beto has gone fishing in San Blas and I am always worried something will happen to him, especially because his Nextel phone does not get coverage out there.  So I go all day worrying until he calls me to let me know he is home and everything is ok. 

I have always been nervous when around large bodies of water.  When I was a little girl my dad tried to teach me how to do the back stroke and all I remember is the water continuously running up my nose.  I couldn't breathe and even though my dad was holding me I was still scared to death. 

Ever since that time I have stayed out of the water as much as possible.  I can barely tread water much less swim.  Holding my breath underwater is very hard for me because I don't know how to not let the water seep into my nose without actually holding my nose with my fingers.  Pathetic right?  My husband on the other hand is a fish.

Beto is a very active guy.  Aside from baseball, volleyball and hunting, he loves to go fishing.  Right now, and most of the year for that matter, fishing is at the top of his list of things to do. 

B's way of fishing is a little different because there is no fishing pole involved.  He likes to go underwater wearing goggles and look for the fish with a spear gun.  Talk about ancient methods.  The spear gun aspect of fishing also frightens me because I always think it might go off by accident and hit somebody. Despite this fishing underwater seems more exciting then using a fishing pole.

Still water worries me.

When I was visiting in September of last year, one of B's nephews drowned in a nearby arroyo, he was 13.  He took a dive and never came back up. 

One of the girls that was with B's nephew came running back to her house to let somebody know what had happened.  That day they announced that a young boy had gone missing in the arroyo and they needed all of the help they could get in locating him.  At the time several men from Chiapas had come to work at the ranch and it was one of them that pulled him out from the bottom of the arroyo.  It was awful.

I have never accompanied B on his fishing trips.  However one time my sister-in-law, her kids, B and myself all decided to go to a small watering hole near the ranch called El Palillo.  It must have been the place to be back in the day because remnants of an old restaurant and swimming pool can be seen.




I wasn't too happy about it once we arrived because the water had little things swimming in it.  I like to feel sand beneath my feet not dirt.  I vowed to never go back for a swim and thought to myself next time lets make the effort to get to the beach, which is only 15-30 minutes away depending on where we go. The kids didn't seem to mind and made the best of it which made me kick myself for being to delicate. 



Beto put on his googles and started looking for fish.  I was beside myself with laughter because he looked so funny. He was really focused.

  


Aside from feeling worried about Beto's fishing trips I get a little jealous too.  I have to admit being here in the states with all of the rain as apposed to over there with the bright sun is no icing on my cake.

It continues to rain non-stop here in Northern California and I am starting to miss the sun or at least a dry day.  I live close to a shopping center and I will often walk to the store instead of driving just to get outdoors.  I seldom venture out during the week because I work 8 hours a day in a six story building. I have a really bad habit of staying up late watching movies, courtesy of Netflix, so when I get home I just want to relax. 

Summer is just around the corner and I am certain that once I am down in Nayarit for good in July/August I'll want to crawl back to California for a more agreeable climate.  I will have to get used to the humidity and battle it out.  It's going to be hard but I'll manage somehow.

For now I try to stay distracted with work and wait for B to give me a call so that I know all is well.

6 comments:

  1. Found your blog through a comment you made on my wifes blog mexicoatlast

    Really enjoy the stories. Water can be a bit scary but having scuba dived for over 25 yrs I can say it is a beautiful world under the water if you can get past your initial fears.

    Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you will keep fretting till you hear from B but It will only stress you even more! I'm sure all will be well, perhaps because you are so far away you worry more. Sorry about the rain, I saw the SFO forecast! Yuck! We'll be driving north up I5 from about Bakersfield and always get dumped on. Oh well, it's one way to clean the salt off the RV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike: Thanks for following, I also enjoy reading Sandra's posts. Yes I think I need to get over that initial fear. I believe the only way to do this is to take on the task of learning how to swim.

    Contessa: You are right amiga I could do without the stress. My thoughts will be with you on your journey north. Never underestimate the rain and take your time on the road, I am sure you know these things but it never hurts to remind others to be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I would be so sad if I hadnt been taught how to swim. But when you are scared of something it is really hard to get over that fear. When I was younger we would spend every summer at the river so it was my fav thing to do.
    Also I can definetly relate I am really sick of the rain too. Cant wait to get back to the warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be strange to go from SF to Nayarit in the very heart of the oven days. I think it is much more difficult when one can't slide into the heat gradually, but here's a solution...have Beto teach you to swim. '-) Or at least get an inner tube and spend days sitting in the middle of the river.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa n Javi: When I was younger my parents rarely took us kids out to the water. So my chances of learning were very slim.

    Zoe: Yes, I have tried once to have Beto teach me but I need to have repetition. I think this will be more possible once I live there. I am certain that I need to learn.

    ReplyDelete