Friday, March 4, 2011

She's done In...


So I've been racking my brain these past two days in search of a small truck to replace Big Bertha in Mexico.  She is about done in.  While I was in Mexico she left me and my husband in the mango orchards quite a few times and we were not happy campers.  Especially since you don't get good cell phone reception when you are in the middle of nowhere (see picture below).


It looks like we will be getting another oldie '92ish, but in much better condition, less mileage, 4x4 to get over those nasty rocks and mud when it rains.  I'm on my way to Cupertino, CA tonight to perhaps seal the deal on this baby....

image 2242750913-3

My husband wanted a more compact truck because manuvering around those mango trees is difficult, even walking you can run right smack into one...a mango that is.  The dirt roads can be awful... especially when it rains.












Aside from replacing Big Bertha, I can take all of my stuff with me when I move down for good.  Whoo Hooo! I'm so happy, hopefully this truck I'm going to see works out.  Don't worry I have a brother-in-law (mechanic) who has my back. 

Well wish me luck, I'll let you know tomorrow if little Emma is mine.


Me killing time 'till the help arrived ha ha


7 comments:

  1. Good luck getting Emma. It looks like it would be good for you! Make sure you guys check out the legalizing though because we had to have all our paperwork done when we traveled through with our cali licence plates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa thanks for the tip! I am a little scared at the legalization part of this because we currently have a 99 chevy silverado that we took to Mexico in January of last year that has not been legalized. We are working on it, it's a long story. But just out of curiousity, did you have to go back into the states with the vehicle for the process of legalizing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trinidad, no actually I drove the car over into TJ and when we got there Javier took it to some guy who was recommended to us. When we purchased the car we did not write the name of who had taken ownership so when we went to do the paperwork Javier just put the car in his dads name because they ask you for an address of your home. It cost a pretty penny to get this done but we did not want any problems driving through especially with all our personal things with us. I can try and look for the number of the guy if you want but it did take us two days to get the paperwork done so we stayed in TJ for a couple days. It is worth it though just one less thing you have to worry about. Also I dont know if you know but you have to make a list of all the items you are taking into the country and put a price on them just in case because they may make you pay taxes on all your belongings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was told something similar by my brother-in-law about not putting the car in my name. The tags don't expire until August. I will be going hopfully by the end of July. I still don't understand why, is it because they ask you for a home address? If so, I can put my aunts address and use that as a home address in the states. Also, it wasn't a problem that the car was in Javier's dad's name? Did Javier's dad go with you guys to the border? I'm sorry for all of the questions but anything you can share would be greatful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dont worry about it, its totally fine. Anything I can do to help. The home address that they ask for is actually the person of someone in mexico, the person whose name the car will be in(it had to be in his dads name because we did not have any property and Javier did not have an ID.) They did not ask us anything about info from the states so if you dont have to dont share any info. They did not need Javiers dad to go to the border either all they needed was the address so that was pretty easy. His dad did not have to do anything until we actually arrived in La barca and then he had to finish the paperwork with his ID card in the town they live in. The checkpoint just need to see the paperwork that the car is in the process of being legalized.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the information, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your very welcome. Dont hesitate to ask if you have any other questions. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete