Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mi Casita

WELCOME...PLEASE COME IN........


My Front Door
So I have been going on in previous posts about my house and how it is still under construction.   When I arrived at the ranch this was how the house looked.
 
Front of the House (before) 

Front of House (after)
We plan on removing the airconditioner unit from my mother-in-law's (suegra's) house (pictured above) and replacing it with a window because that bedroom does not have any windows and it is very dark.  Originally, we had planned on building on top of two existing rooms which are located behind the room with the airconditioner.  We were going to build up because we did not have much space.  Fortunately the oppourtunity arose to purchase the property next to hers which is approximately 10 x 40 meters. and that is where we extended the house. 

Side view
Driveway Area

Backyard
View of Driveway from Backyard looking out towards the street


The existing rooms had doors opening to my suegra's house, or to the right.  My husband closed off the doorways opening to the right and opened up two new doorways to the left to face our newly purchased property.  I know it is a little confusing so here are a few more pictures to clarify.


Looking in from the front door (Before)

After












The above picture is looking in throught the front door.  To the right are the new doorways, the old doors opened on the opposite wall.  I just have to mention that these doors only cost $25 USD a piece and my husband said that if I didn't like them we could get better ones in the future because these were cheapies.  I told him absolutely not, these doors were going to stay and I saluted him on saving money so that we could spend elsewhere.  To the back of the picture is what will be my kitchen, with a kitchen window opening to the back yard and a steel door opening up to the pila/concrete lavadero(washboard) and my suegra's back yard (see photo below).


After

Before












This next photo is of the left inside of the house standing from the front door. The steel green door is to go outside to the driveway area and the other doorway is to the bathroom.  I love how there is an archway separating the living space.  I have my sister-in-law Dalia to thank for reminding my husband of what I had in mind.  The door for the bathroom is also made out of wood and is sitting in the back of the picture against the kitchen window. 

 
Looking in from the front door (Before)

After











 Here are pictures of the bathroom...

Before
After

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Small but functional

 And finally the inside of the house.


Before


After
What good use my piano is getting eh, you know who's idea that was ha ha.  The living room set belonged to my suegra, it is very sturdy and my thoughts are to cover them with nice slip covers.  At the moment we have make-shift lighting and curtains until we can purchase our own.  We are still paying off that TV with the carcacha (a local vendor) and eventually will order our kitchen appliances the same way.  I hope to purchase the smaller appliances here in the U.S and take them down when I move.

Another View
 I would like to fill my walls with big paintings. Recently I visited a museum in Tepic and saw some beautiful art by local artists and found out that they will be holding an auction in December. Well we'll see what happens, I can only hope for the best.  My husband and I both don't mind working on our casita because we know it is ours. 


Even though the albañiles did all of the brick work, my husband was working right alongside them making sure everything was perfect.  Unless you are in every detail, your house could come out looking not so good.  Below is a picture of what a job can look like if you don't clean up and you don't smooth out the concrete "castillos."  B still has to work on the backside of the house to remove all of the splattered concrete.


I would love to hear back from you with any questions, suggestions etc. 

THANK YOU FOR VISITING...TAKE CARE AND I HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON!


8 comments:

  1. I love the house, Im so jealous. The paint/stain on the doors is a nice color, it pops. My favorite part is the ceiling though I like how those are done in Mexico. The only thing I would do would be to move the paino with the tv against the wall and put one of the sofa chairs in front of the window. Just a suggestion, but I guess it would not work if you get the glare from the window. Good luck, looks like are guys are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have a fine house in your family compound. Hope you have a great life in México, you can't beat the people and the climate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house is looking great! I love the color you chose for the front door. Are you going to cover the bricks or leave them uncovered?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You did an incredible amount of work in the short time you were there. It looks fabulous and your yard is huge. So many possibilities. It must be difficult being back in the US alone now that you have got a real home here in Mexico. The positive side is that every hour you are working you know just where you can spend those pesos! Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Lisa n Javi: Thanks for the suggestion, our choices were limited at the time because we don't have any electricity installed yet. I'll try it out once we get up and running. I love the cielings in Mexico too!

    @Paul: Yes, we still have lot's of work.

    @ Leslie: I really like the rustic look and so I want to keep the exposed brick. In the future, if the brick starts to look ugly, I'll opt to cover them up but I'm hoping that wont happen.

    @ Contessa: Thank you! I can't wait to dress up my yards because I know we will be spending a lot of time outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here in Mazatlan, it is very unusual to have any sort of yard, and you have a PARK! We happen to be lucky, and it is a good thing with 5 dogs, to have a nice side yard. I bet it feels so fine to have your place finished and ready for your new life to begin. Congrats on a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Zoe, thank you for commenting.

    I have never been to Mazatlan but would definitely like to go someday soon. I can't wait to fix the yard because we spend most of our time outside. I have never owned a dog and always wanted to, I'll have to make that dream come true some time soon now that I will have a place to put him. It feels so nice to have a place to call my own even though I'm missing a kitchen and some furniture. I am definitely excited about finally going home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How very very exciting for you.

    ReplyDelete