Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Rain, Rain, Books?

Wow, since I've returned to the Bay Area from my stay in Nayarit, it has been raining non-stop. 

It's good weather for crawling up with a good book, a blanket, and a big cup of coffee.  All you hear outside is the sound of rain dripping from the rooftop.  No kids playing outside, no screaming, or yelling.

Only there is a problem or maybe two, I took all of my books to Mexico.  I've read only two of the books in the picture below.  I can't seem to get into the mood for reading here in the states.  TV and the internet have tempted me and succeeded in grabbing my attention.  I guess It's expected after being without either for a whole month. 

When I am at the ranch I feel isolated from the rest of the world.  I never put the TV on because we don't have cable (just bunny ears), there is no internet and no newspapers.  If I'd been in Mexico at the time Japan was hit with the Tsunami, I probably wouldn't even have known about it unless I'd heard of it by way of mouth. 

When I am at the ranch days of the week hold no meaning for me. Afternoon's roll by one after another and before I know it we are in another month.  I recall days by what was on the menu, who stopped by or if I washed that day or not. 

Despite all of this, I already miss it.  On this last visit, I was surprised when B joined me on the maka for an afternoon reading session.  He grabbed a gossip magazine, hey its a start right? 


After I sat and read for awhile, I got up to finish up some afternoon chores and Muñeca took my place keeping B company.  I've never had a dog and have grown to love her very much, she's a doll.  He kept on reading even after I left and it felt good to have that kind of affect on him especially since he is not a reader.


Well, I received a coupon in the mail for a book store near my house.  I think I'll take advantage of it and see if I can find anything good to read.  Then I'll work on getting in the mood.  What usually works for you?

3 comments:

  1. I love to read also. I actually carry a book with me in my purse. Any chance I get I take it. Reading seems to take some of my stress away because I can zone out for a while and not think of everything else going on.
    Isnt it weird how you miss mexico so much. I love that you dont have to look at the clock every 20 min and think of where you have to go and what you are supposed to be doing on this day or that. You feel so free over there and can enjoy every minute of the day. I have grown up in cali all my life and would never have thought I would leave. But when I got off the plane back here in the states it just didnt feel right. It does not feel like home anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a reader also. I finished a novel a few days ago and just am not in the mood to pick up another book. Right now I tend to just sit and watch the ocean which I am going to miss big time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa n Javi: Me too! I always have a book in my bag! Weired indeed. I had a coffee date with two of my good friends and trying to be excited with them was rather difficult because they had that face of really? You no longer feel at home here? I hate feeling that way.

    Contessa: I hear you. When I finish up a book I tend to wait awhile. I completely understand why you would rather just sit on the beach. Wish I could be there to share a nice cold drink with you!

    ReplyDelete