Tuesday, March 8, 2011

If you are ever in my neck of the woods....SAN BLAS

....There are so many things to do and places to see!!!

San Blas, El Cocodrilario, fishing, hunting, Miramar, La Tovara, Mexcaltitan, Las Islitas, Platanitos, Tepic, Beaches, beaches and more beaches.

For now let's take a look at San Blas, a small beachfront town about 10-15 minutes from my house.  San Blas is a growing town that has little tourism.  I think the main reason the town has never really brought in tourists is because of those nasty little jejenes (I think they are called sand flies in english). You will be sitting on the beach minding your own business and those things eat you alive.  You can feel them bite into you, it feels like a hot needle pricking your skin.  It is not pleasant.  Nonetheless, San Blas is a place to visit if you are ever in the area.

STOP#1 - ARCHEOLOGICAL SITE "LA CONTADURIA"/FORT

In the late 1700's the town of San Blas was an important gateway port for the Spanish.  Built in the late 1700's by the Spanish, La Contaduria or "The Counting House" was eventually captured by Mexican revolutionaries in 1810, and fell into ruins by the end of the 19th century. 


Today, the site is used to hold events and people are able to visit for a small fee. It is said that the fort was built right atop a hill which butted up against the ocean.  Take a look now how far away the ocean is from the fort...


There is nothing but palm trees hitting the hill now...


There is also an old church at the site worth taking a look at.  The floor is what caught my eye.  If I ever do a church wedding, I would like to have my ceremony at an old world place like this.  You can feel the history oozing out.


Inside of Church
Loved the floor
And the windows!


My last visit to San Blas was strictly business and so I was able to see more of the town center.  The pictures above were taken on my 2008 visit when my husband took me on a coastal tour of Nayarit. 

STOP#2 - LA PLAZA/MERCADITO

On this trip, we went really early in the morning and stopped at the mercado for a liquado (shake) at Jugos Mimi.  The fruit looked appealing but I like my shakes a little thicker and with ice. 


Right next to the mercado is the old church (on the left in pix below), and next to the old church is the new chruch. I liked the old church better.  What can I say I really like old things.


If it weren't for being located right next to the new church the old church would have been left forgotten and abandoned :





Love this chair

Inside the new church:


All of the following are located right in front of the churches: 

The Kiosko
Street Vendors
La Presidencia de San Blas
It looked kind of bare because it was really early in the morning and everybody was probably still snoozing, in school or off to work.  There were several restaurants that I didn't take pictures of that looked very interesting and when I walked by the food smelled great.  Also, along the plaza are great little cafes just waiting for somebody to stroll along and sit down at one of their umbrella tables.  

STOP#3 - LA PLAYA

I think the Playa speaks for itself.  This was just a little rundown of San Blas.  If you ever know anybody who would like to see a less touristy part of Mexico, tell them to go to Nayarit. 

I know they'll love it!....just tell them not to go between May and October or they'll melt like a popsicle.

Playa San Blas, Nayarit

5 comments:

  1. I just can't get over your pictures! Seriously this is amazing. Is this you and your honey at the bottom? You guys look happy! When is the big moving day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl, yes that's me and B! The tags on the truck I just bought expire in August so that has become the official moving month. Still have quite a ways to go but I'm sure it will come fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tour. We have spent several month in the Rincon area but never San Blas due to the bugs. In English they are called noseeums and I HATE them. The bite itches forever. After many years of research we have found that the Essential Oil called Pennyroyal Oil works at keeping the jejenes at bay. Either use it directly rubbed on the exposed skin areas or mix it with an oil base and spray it on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the pictures. Especially the old buildings, I really enjoy looking and taking pictures of them also. Very cute pix at the bottom you look happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Contessa: I know I can't stand those bugs either! Thanks for the tip, I will definitely try it out. I wonder if it would also shield against mosquitos. I'll let you know!

    @Lisa n Javi: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete