Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A glimpse of my daily life to be

I have been hibernating for a while.  Well, not really I've just been really busy at work and haven't had a breather. 

On this last stretch of time before I make the big move down to Nayarit I have had a lot of time to think.  Sometimes this can be dangerous, thinking too much, but I rationalize or convince myself that everything will be ok.



During my last visit to Mexico, I spent many early mornings with my husband and our calabasas (squash).  I was going out to the orchards just as I had arrived and I still had that sense of what the hell am I doing here at 5am?  Do you know this feeling? When you just arrive in Mexico and you think wow just yesterday I was ..... Sitting in front of my computer with a $4 coffee in a six story building with a freeway as my view.  Not very exciting, I know.




As long as I have been going to Mexico, this feeling never ceases to exsist.  No matter what, I feel as if I am transported into another world entirely.  After a while I begin to forget the hum of suburban life, the routine, the traffic, the annoying bills, solicitors and so on. 

As I have read several times in other blogs, for some this feeling of the slow simple life in Mexico is like receiving the golden ticket.  However for others, it would be the death of them.  "NO INTERNET!" is usually the remark I hear from most when I say I will be moving down to Mexico and I give them my spiel about how it will be great to be living the simple life.  I guess they miss the message.

I am only human and sometimes I have to admit that comments about how crazy I am to be leaving beautiful United Sates makes me the craziest person they know take their toll.  I later have to do some convincing that I am still sane and no, moving to Mexico will not be the death of me.

Somehow I manage to remember that feeling of being rewarded in some small way for having lived off the land or going through uncomfortable A to get to B.  Those beautiful calabasas being all wrapped up for somebody to later place them on their kitchen table for dinner with their family.  Or simply those early mornings with B.  Now that's what I'm talking about.


Who is to say what your "box of chocolates" should be?  If you want to be in "crime ridden" Mexico that's your choice.  Is it not?  Just the other day we had a small family reunion, not under the greatest circumstances, nonetheless I saw most of my family.  Many spoke of how they wouldn't be going to Mexico anytime soon because oh they got really sick one time and oh the Zetas are parading all over Mexico.

What I was looking for I didn't get, a small glimmer of support from the fam bam.  So I thought to myself instead hey, you want to come visit me my door is always open, if not well then it will be your loss.  I will go where I am happy, and if that's in the middle of a mango orchard picking calabasas then so be it.

9 comments:

  1. Its like you are reading my mind! LOL. It is so true the way people think and see Mexico from the U.S. Honestly I am very lucky to have a just go with it attitude and not really care what other people think. Im also very lucky that I actually have the support of my family but even if I didnt, in the end its still my decision. We have to do what makes us happy right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, first off the "What am I doing here" or "wow I live in Mexico" never really goes away. At least after almost three years it hasn't for me. It does come less often though. I can only imagine how people look at you crazy or strait up tell you your crazy. I was moving to a place that did have the net and almost all amenities except Taget and Burger king and people told me to my face I was making the wrong choice and that I was crazy. Hang in there I was lucky to only have like a month to deal with people after I decided to move. Its one of the hardest parts of the whole process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa n Javi: Right, ulitmately it's what we decide. I like to think that I have a just go with it attitude but I guess it bothers me a little more because it's coming from my family.

    Amanda: Yes, lucky you. I'm going on a year and a half and it is the most grueling part of the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What bothers ME, is most often these comments come from people who have never been here, never experienced how wonderful and diverse Mexico is, and experienced the fact that bodies DON'T line the streets. It will be different but it sounds like you are ready to embrace that difference and I applaud you. It will bring to the forefront what really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Zoe: Couldn't have said it more to the point. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos of the calabasas. They sure look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. O my gosh....I just started reading your blog. I Love it and I thank you for taking the time to write...I know how hard it is to keep up. I too feel at peace in Mexico despite the crime and violence. I always say that Mexico has a kind of peace that lives through the chaos. I'll defiantly be following you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mary! You are right it is a task to keep up with the blogging but then it all feels worth it when you get feedback from readers such as yourself. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! Now I'm really looking forward to visiting your mango orchards :)

    ReplyDelete