Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mexcaltitan - A Seldom Visited Jewel


Located in the state of Nayarit, Mexcaltitan is a small island (less than a mile in circumfrence) reachable only by navigating swampy channels that surround the island.  Along the way you will see waters thick with mangroves, exotic birds, alligators and turtles. 


Mexcaltitan is towards the top of the picture. 

Mexcaltitan is said to be long lost Aztlán, the mythical place of origin of the Aztec or Mexíca people.  Before settling in Tenochititlan, present day Mexico City, the Aztec people embarked on a quest to find their new home, a place where they would see an eagle perched on a branch with a snake in its tallans.  The fabled Aztlán has  been compared to Atlantis in that it's true location has never been discovered.  Although this may be quick to change because just the other day I heared that historians believe to have found the latter.
 
Despite it's nickname of the Venice of Mexico, many tourists do not know of Mexcaltitan's existence.  This may be because it is not a picturesque sight of a city.  During the rainy season, the streets will flood and the residents must use a boat to get from place to place.  Restaurants do not have names or telephones.  Cars are non-existent as the streets of the island are wide enough for about 4 people.  The local museum lacks in awe and leaves the visitor wanting more.


"Driving" around



The Church

La Plaza


One of the exhibits in the Museum.  I was excited about this one because armadillo is a favorite dish in 5 de Mayo and I couldn't remember what one looked like until I saw this exhibit. 
 
However if you are like me and enjoy the less touristy areas every once in a while, this is definitely a place to visit.  The boat ride through the swamps alone will leave you a little scared but happy.   

Nayarit is rich with potential undiscovered historical sites.  For me she is what I like to call the virgin state of Mexico because there is so much that has gone untouched. I like to think that someday my childhood dream of being an archeologist might come true at least in the form of a hobby.  

To say the least Nayarit continues to facinate me and I think that is one of the things that helps to ease the painful hot days, humidity and mosquitos.


6 comments:

  1. Never heard of it but it is now on the to go visit list. What a jewel of a place! I see a future for you in the Nayarit Tourism Department!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pics, I love the ones of the views from above. All the little channels make it look so cool but the gators kind of creep me out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contessa: Thanks! I know sometimes I wonder what job I will hold in Mexico should the need ever arise.

    Lisa n Javi: Yes it is a nice boat ride but you do feel a little uneasy that the only thing between you and the gators is the boat you are in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures. I read a series of books called Aztec which takes place in Mexico from the early 1500's to modern times and Aztlan was mentioned. Never knew it might actually exist. Would be a great trip some day.

    Mike and Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike and Sandie: I like to believe Aztlan is out there somewhere. Unfortunately many sites are undiscovered in Mexico because they simply don't have the means to do excavations and research.

    I first read about Aztlan in college in a book called Heart of Aztlan. The book did not seem to be at college level rather something that would be read as a teenager. However, the analogies and metaphors in the book is what sparked my interest on the subject.

    ReplyDelete