Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Nayarit's Unrelenting Beauty

I have been under the weather lately due to a nasty cold, but I'm back!

It got me thinking about my time in Nayarit and how I will fair over there.  The worst of it for me, aside from the humidity and the heat, would have to be the mosquitos.  Never have I experienced such extreme humidity, and such vicious mosquitos.  On one trip back to California I had two swollen feet from all of the mosquito bites. 

The area where I will be living is surrounded by trees, vegetation and mountains.  It's beautiful but sheesh whomever said beauty comes at a price was right.


The picture above was taken on my last trip to Nayarit in September of last year.  I was paying attention to everthing except the road. You might have heared that the bridge connecting Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco and Bucerias, Nayarit collapsed last year.  I didn't get any pictures of that, but it was all over the news. 

On my way to the airport going back to California temporary bridges were installed and the old bridges lay in ruins off to the side, pretty scary sight when you think what might of happened had you been on it at the time it went down.  The photo below was taken in El Llano, Nayarit.



When I had first arrived in Mexico two weeks prior, we were not able to take this route because the bridge had been washed away literally that morning and so we had to take a detour which added about an hour and a half to our trip.  Not fun at all, especially when you're hot, tired and cranky.  Below is another bridge which was washed away however I can't recall where.



So you get the big picture, when it rains, it pours.  Everything is always green and then there are the mosquitos. The last picture I want to share with you is one of a mound off to the side of the road en route between San Blas and Puerto Vallarta, its exact location I will have to record on my next trip.  When I saw this I got excited because it made me think of the Indian burial mounds often found in the United States.


If it one thing I am looking forward to, it is learning about Nayarit's history.  I have found that it is one of the less studied areas in Mexico.  Alex Kerekes wrote a book about his own personal journey with his father into the state of Nayarit in search of archelogical finds.  You can read his story at http://storiesbyalex.com/. I found his stories to be quite interesting and hope to post more about it later. 

For now, I will continue to take in Nayarit's beautiful countryside and make sure I carry a hat and insect repellant at all times.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your blog! Well done! Over the years to come it will become a great resource as to what you will have gone through and accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. We have been to Nayarit. It's beautiful and the people are great. The food is good too.

    ReplyDelete