Monday, January 24, 2011

A Family Reunion

I have not been well these past couple of days due to a nasty tooth ache.  I was in bed all weekend and didn't do so much as lift a finger. 

During my abscence of blogging, my father-in-law has fallen ill and is currently in the hospital.  As you can imagine the whole family is distrought but with hope that Don Humberto will make a recovery.  I have not known him for very long, about 2 years, but have come to love him very much.  He is a good father and I often wish that my own father had some of his qualities. 

In my husbands family there are 5 children.  Of these 5 children is a daughter who at 26 decided to venture North of the Border in search of something more.  She married, had two children, and has to this day not returned home to see her parents.  She loves them both very much, but circumstances have prevented her from making the journey. 

All of that has changed, because now, 10 years later, she is sitting at an airport in Tijuana making the venture with her two children back home to see her family.   I can only imagine what they all must be feeling.  Despite that fact that her father is not doing very well, I am glad she finally realized how important it is for her to see her parents. 

                       Don Humberto & Doña Toña (Sept. 2010)

Every day I am looking forward to my trip.  Now, the family is once again whole as the daughter in California was always missing at family functions.  I will have to see if we can manage to get everybody home for a family reunion, I would love to hear all of the reminiscent stories of the past.

6 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your suegro. I will be praying that he makes a speedy recovery.

    Tooth still bothering you? Oh, you poor thing. I know how much those hurt. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Leslie for keeping him in your prayers. I was recovering all weekend from having my tooth pulled and fighting the infection. I am glad to say that I feel much better, but am still somewhat tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am assuming that once the daughter makes the trip south, she will have a difficult time returning to the states or has she been able to adjust her status since then? It is painful for my husband to see his "legal" aunt who can't be bothered to see her parents but every few years while I make time to go down every 6 months to see his family.

    Krystal
    Thanks for following, I'm glad you found me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krystal what you assume is correct. Her plans to date are unsure. I guess some people just have different priorities in life that sometimes can affect other family members. I am sure his family appreciates the effort you make to go down and see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only three more days and you will be joining them all. I wish you a safe and uneventful journey.

    ReplyDelete