Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mi Little Brick House

I contemplated on naming this post "My Obsession" and opted instead for the above.  Today I have a brand new front door and wanted to share my excitement and frustration.

Before our building project, my living situation in Nayarit consisted of two rooms. One fairly large room of 15'x16' and an adjoining room of 13'x16'.  You see, in Mexico many times the father of a family will divide his land equally between his sons/daughters.  My husband had already built two rooms years ago on property given to him by his father (which happens to be right next to our in-laws house) but then left Mexico for the U.S. and never finished building.  Needless to say, I was looking to expand our home so that we could at least have a living room, a kitchen and a bedroom.

When we started planning our project we initially thought of building up so as to minimize using up the space around us which was being shared by ourselves an my in-laws.  However, an opportunity surfaced for us to buy the adjoining property to Don Humberto's and our plans changed to move sideways and out onto the property we purchased.  We were both ecstatic because this meant more privacy and more space, so even though we had to shell out the money, we figured it was well worth it.

For the past couple of months construction has been ongoing and I try my best to relay to B how I want the layout of the house, the windows, the doors, the bathroom etc. etc.  Ocassionaly I get frustrated because I am unable to communicate with pictures (no internet or capable cell phone media).  We 'wing it' and try to do the best we can and compromise wherever possible.  Case in point my new front door is one that I have not seen but have been told by B that it is beautiful and was a lil' 'spensive but worth it considering it is the front of the house.  That's all of the detail I could get out of him because he said I would see it when I go in February (he doesn't have much patience for explaining things).

Nonetheless, I am confident that everything will come together.  For now, I imagine my little brick house and look forward to seeing it.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting and at the same time I can understand how it could be a little stressful. I bet you can't wait until February is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, these last couple of weeks seem like forever. And yes it can be very stressful, but I think the worst of it is over. Now it is all about the details.

    ReplyDelete