Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I have a floor!

The highlight of my day is that my husband has confirmed that the floor of our newly constructed "casita" has been poured and looks great!  I wish I had pictures to share with you but I'm not there so that makes it difficult. 

The month of February will be very exciting because I get to see all of the construction.  I will still be missing a tile floor but cement is better than dirt, especially since we will already be staying in the house on my next visit.  Hopefully by the time I move down in mid June/July, we will have the time and money to lay down the tile below that we picked out on my last trip to Nayarit.


Finding this tile was so arduous.  We must have went to 10 tile stores (and I am not exaggerating) before we settled on this one.  I love the hacienda look and feel in a home, so I am trying to stay close to rustic furnishings.  Finding tile to my liking was difficult because a lot of the tile stores in Tepic only carried what everybody else had which was shiny tile.

Something good did come from visiting so many stores.  While we were shopping for the tile, we came across these beautiful tile tables which I would like to have someday in my yard.




I cannot recall excatly how much these cost, but I think it was close to $150 U.S dollars.  These are heavy duty tables and once you put them down they are not to be moved.  You could easily pull a muscle!

Well, there is my tid bit of excitement today.  Stay tuned for updates in February so that you can see how our little brick casita is coming along.

3 comments:

  1. You know before moving to Mexico I would not have understood your excitement. But having looked at many houses to rent that didn't come with a floor, I guess you bring your own tile and take it up when you leave??? I totally get you now. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true, many houses in Mexico do not have a tile floor. My mother-in-law doesn't have a tiled floor just cement and now that I am putting mine in she's been pushing my father-in-law to get one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tile you chose, so many people pick that shiny white tile and it just makes no sense to me unless you have an army of maids mopping it all day long. The earthy colors are more traditional and make more sense from a care standpoint, too. Conratulations!

    ReplyDelete