Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Flea

I had an interesting visit to the flea market on Sunday. 

Not having been in oh, over 10 years, I arrived and parked the furthest I possibly could thinking the entrance was in the same place it was on my last visit. 

As I made my way through each row, I sensed all of the negotiating going on between the vendors and the potentital buyers.  Everybody trying to make or save a buck.

My main reason for going was to see if I could find a nice mirror for my bathroom in Mexico.  Unfortunately the only decent one I came across was going for $60.  Sheesh, no thank you.

Reaching the last row of the flea, I hesitated and thought of just bolting for the exit but something told me to keep on going and finish the deed.

I reached the very end of that row and saw a man selling furniture and knick knacks.  At the very back of his lot, was a 4 post full bed.  I immediately fell in love with it but thought to myself this guy is most likely like all of the rest and is more interested in making a buck than in getting rid of his stuff.

I brought myself to ask anyway.  "$40" was his reply.  Hmmm not bad I thought. I went in to take a closer look and saw that it had scratches here and there and also came with a frame.  In my mind I was thinking with a little polish to darken those scratches I could have a winner.

"I'll give you $30" was my reply.  The man looked to be Filipino and had kind old eyes.  "$35?" was his reply.  I made a face and "eghh" slipped through my lips.  "ok ok I'll take $30." It seemed as though I was a natural at wheeling and dealing.

 

After the purchase, my thoughts traveled to my comején problem, I asked the man if he knew what kind of wood the bed was made out of because where I was going I had a termite problem.  He said he thought it was a California wood but that it shouldn't be a problem because most woods are treated to resist the bugs. 

He then asked where I would be taking the bed.  When I told him Nayarit, he grew excited and said he was familiar with the area because he has gone further down the coast of Mexico to visit his son-in-law in Michoacan.  He then introduced himself as Fernando and said he was Filipino. 

When I had first approached Fernando's vendor area, he was speaking fluent spanish and I thought at first that he was Mexican.  I told him that he spoke spanish very well and that I knew that the Filipino language had similar words in the Spanish language. 

I told him my maiden name, which is waaayy cooler than my married name, is Salamanca and that Salamanca in Tagalog meant magic.  "Yes yes" he said and "Salamancero means magician. There are several Filipino families with that last name."

Fernando then said he would be traveling soon to Mexico and that he would think of me when he visited Nayarit.  I smiled and said "Well, if you remember, I live near San Blas in a ranch called 5 de Mayo."  He smiled and said "Sure I wont forget, plus how can I forget Salamanca?"

I doubt he will ever make it my way, and I failed to mention that nobody would know me by Salamanca as I have taken my husband's last name. Nonetheless, I had a nice little chat with the man and I got an awsome bed frame which by the way will probably stress me out as I try and haul it across Mexico.  Only one of the little knotches on top come off and I am scared that the others might break off in the back of my truck. 



I don't plan on buying any more furniture.  I hadn't planned to buy this bed but I couldn't help myself, all of the bed frames I have seen in Mexico were not to my taste.  Particularly because most of the time the headboards are not attached to the frame.  I am not familiar with Tepic and so I think that a lot of times I just don't know where to go to get the good stuff at a decent price.  My solution at present is to take as much as I can when I move down, or at least what I consider to be more important. 

Even though I had a good time at the flea, I think I enjoy going to garage sales more.  People want to get rid of what they are selling and don't mind letting go of their things for next to nothing.

5 comments:

  1. At least you found something you like! And yes try to take as much with you as you can. Even if you think oh I probably wont need this. That seemed to be the case with me and javi. There were some things I though oh we could do with out this. But of course that would be the one item he would ask for right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read my mind! I'm trying to avoid not taking something I wish I had. I guess you can't take everything but I am going to try and take whatever I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG what a deal! I love it. Trinidad, you do realize that there was something "magical" in your meeting this fellow!!??? The experience in itself was priceless and I would not be surprised to find him on your doorstep one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contessa: Yes, I think you are right. It definitely felt "magical," he was a very nice man and I wouldn't mind if he did stop by. I am sure he has seen much in his day and would love to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great deal and your right bed frames here suck! ;) Hope you have no trouble getting it down here.

    ReplyDelete