Monday, April 11, 2011

Concrete Jobs - B's Talent

In looking forward to my new patio, I would like to share my husband B's talent.

I spoke with B the other day and he mentioned that he would be forming a sidewalk along the house to connect with a patio in the backyard.  Unlike other jobs related to the house, I am sure this job will come out spectacular because I am confident with what B can bring to the table.  

Like most immigrants that come to the U.S., B learned a labor trade, and he learned it very well.  With about 8 years of experience, he has been able to master the trade of pouring concrete.  Lucky for us, he has been doing all of the concrete jobs at our house which has tremendously cut down on labor costs.

Another plus is the fact that we know the concrete will be completed with straight lines and beautifully finished detail.  If you haven't already noticed, concrete in Mexico often has a mind of its own.  Concrete is poorly poured and finished, leaving uneven surfaces and crooked lines. 

B will often see men working on a concrete job and chuckle to himself as he sees all of the mistakes they are making.  He does understand however that many times workers do not have the necessary tools to get the job done. 

When he poured a driveway and patio for his mom and dad, B was frustrated he did not have the same user friendly tools as he did in the U.S.  Nonetheless he has been able to improvise and get the job done. 

As you can see in the picture below, concrete patio's really come in handy during the rainy season.  You can still party and everybody stays mud free!  This picture was taken in September, towards the end of the hot, rainy season.

My mother-in-laws patio

Now to B's gallery....





Stamped Concrete...Cobble Stone?

One of my favorites stamped designs


Stamped Concrete...Finished product is in the pix below
Finished Product

Before adding color

After with Color






A drain for the rain and pool water

A Wall with Electrical Outlets

I often think to myself why doesn't B make a business out of this? I think it's definitely something we should think about.  However, for now we are investing all of our time (and money) into our orchards.

I can't wait to see our patio, I know it will be just wonderful! 

7 comments:

  1. Wow, he is an artist! Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow I am kind of having de ja vu at the moment. My dad owns his own concrete company in the states. That is actually how me and javi met. All those pix of the finished products look so familiar especailly the types of stamps. I worked in the office so I know alot about concrete too. I actualy worked out in the field before pouring the concrete which was pretty interesting, but Javi taught me everything.

    Our husbands sound very similiar. Javi will also stop and laugh at some of the work that we will see sometimes or just stare at the floor and tell me everything that it is wrong with it and how it was supposed to be done LOL. Thats too funny. They should start a business together, they would probably do very well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so you know your stuff. It does sound like our hubbys are similar crazy huh?, and yes I bet they could start a business!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you have any worries as to how nice your patio will turn out, knowing B's past work. The bed will be a nice addition, too, and I bet you are getting twitchy with anticipation. Hard to move right in the middle of the heat, but so be it, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zoe: You are right my friend about moving in the middle of the heat. It has definitely crossed my mind several times and I must admit, that part I am not looking forward to. I'm still trying to adjust to that kind of heat. But as you say, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, my pastor in St. Louis does work like this and taught my hubby a little.

    ReplyDelete