Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Comejénes

These little critters are my arch enemies. 

During my September visit to Mexico, B and I decided to buy a bedroom set because we were without, well everything, even a bed.  So we purchased what we thought was a decent pine set. 

We need to add another mattress to cover the gap and because we are both fairly tall.
A few months later, I received a call from B and the first thing he said was "Everything is going to be ok.." My response was "Oh no, what happened?" That's when he told me all about the comejénes (termites) and how they were invading our lives, or perhaps the other way around eh? They were eating away at our newly purchased furniture, and after investigating I found out that pine is a fairly soft wood that termites prefer.  Luckily we had a warranty on the set and we were able to return the side table for a new one.

Also damaged was a box full of books.  A few books had to be thrown away, family pictures were ruined and I was mortified.  So this last time I went I packaged everything up in plastic bags and made sure the boxes were off the ground. 

The solution for all of this, according to B, was that we douse the furniture in petroleum.  Yeah, I know what your thinking, fire hazard, smelly, ugly looking wet marks?  I don't really know how it works but I didn't want to go back to having no furniture so I gave him the green light.  I don't believe he ever got around to it back then, until now that is.

We have had another comején outbreak and this time he has had to treat the furniture.  I only hope that it's not as bad as it seems, you know dousing your furniture with petroleum.  B says he thinks they come up from the roots of the mango trees that are on the property.  I don't know if that's true but it is a problem.

I had planned on buying more wood furniture, but since we have been dealing with this I don't think that is such a good idea.  I am not sure what to do, but I think I am going to have to go for a wrought iron look even though I really like the way wood brings warmth to a room.

Well, what ever works right? Have any of you had any similar furniture problems down in Mexico? We also had a hard time putting the fixtures up in my bathroom, but that's another story. 

8 comments:

  1. YUCK! Bugs and Mexico are like peanut butter and jelly. Since moving to Juarez our bug killing is so much less but I'm almost afraid to talk about it in case I jinx it. Sorry, I don't know anything about termites though. But yeah, I'd go for wrought iron too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had some new wood patio furniture that we left wrapped in plastic X 3 and when we came back 7 months later, all that was left was the fabric....grrrrrrrrrrr....just like the grrrrrrrrrr internet that quit on my first posting....!! We still have friends in Acapulco with a home on the beach and lots of wooden furniture, they have an exterminator in every 4 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know many people buy furniture in Concordia as, supposedly, the wood deters termites. It is a special hard wood. As Rosannadanna once said "if it isn't one thing,it's another." Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certain woods the termites don't like. Sorry I can't remember the names of them; but your hubbys relatives should know which ones. One might be a type of cedar, sorry not sure.
    Also most people get the fumigators in to treat around the outside and inside of the house every so often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheryl: Yes I agree peanut butter and jelly indeed! My worst fears are cucarachas, thank goodness I haven't seen many of those around the house. I think it's safe to say that anything squigling around will make me queazy.

    Contessa: How sad! I would have been grrr too. I don't know about getting an exterminator thought, I think everyone would look at me weired if I tell them let's get an exterminator. I don't think that flies in the little village where I'll be living but who cares right? Whatever keeps the mites away!

    Zoe: Thanks for the tip, after doing a little research I found out that our funiture was a softer wood and is what the little guys like to eat most so perhaps if I stick to a harder wood I will be ok.

    Brenda: Cedar is a hard wood, so I think I'll be safe with something like that. We'll see, all I know is something will have to get done soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can but veneno to treat your wood furniture for termites at hardware or paint stores.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Paul, I'll look for it next time I go as I am determined to find a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a good thing that your furniture had warranty when you bought it. It would have been costly if you had to buy another one. A piece of advice: when your husband finishes burning the termites, clean your house more than often to avoid soil residue and to eliminate the source of moisture. That way, you can still have wooden furniture in your home.

    ReplyDelete