Thursday, August 4, 2011

Casita Update

B and I have decided that the first order of business once I move down to Nayarit is installing the electricity.

We would really like to paint the bedrooms and the walls that do not have exposed brick.  However, we plan on changing all of the electricity outlets in the bedrooms and should really wait until we can seal all of the holes where the old outlets are now.  The color in my bedroom reminds of Thousand Island dressing and does not complement the bobeda cielings at all!  The picture below is from my February visit. You can see how we closed the exsisting doorways when we added on to the house and opened up new a doorway behind where I took this picture.  Also, you can see the existing electrical wires that run up on top.  I don't know why but for some reason in Mexico they run the wires right smack in the middle of the walls and have outlets really high up.  My piano is now the new construction of the house as is the sofa and TV.  On this last visit I took curtain rods and switched out the tree branches that were being used as curtain rods ha ha.



B bought this paint at a really cheap price and thought he made out like a bandit, until he painted the walls with the paint.  The paint was so cheap that you could still see the cement underneath and after a while the paint began to peel off.  He was so mad!

You see that gap under the door?

After many reminders to B that I wanted to hang up all the stuff I had brought down to Mexico, we got to work on figuring out where we wanted everything as I didn't want them to get ruined on the floor while I was away.  It took so much work to get those things up on the walls because the walls aren't like those here in the states, they are made out of solid concete, brick and block.  Making a hole meant pulling out the drill (special for making holes in concrete), then using a dowel, and finally inserting the screw.  After all was said and done I had little piles of dust everywhere.  No wonder why B wasn't looking forward to the task.

I havn't told  B yet but I think we erred on how high to hang everything.  Looking at it now, they seem a little too high.  I also thought that maybe they look high because we don't have that much furniture in the house.  I don't know but I don't think I like where they are hmmm. 

The black frame on the wall is actually for several pictures
the cardboard inside just needs to be turned over; a task I will
tackle when I go down for good.

This is where the dining table is going to be...
I know the bathroom is not in the greatest place but we did what we could

The bathroom - still not quite finished but getting there
And last but not least.  Do you remember my Garage Sale Find?  Yep, I ended up painting the mirror a silver color, I wanted to do more with the color but didn't have time.  The cabinet I bought online was cheap and darling but the we were unable to screw it to the wall because the back of the cabinet is a cheap particle board.  I guess you get what you pay for.  I also think the cabinet ended up really high too but no chance I'm changing it now, I think I'm going to opt for a basket to put all my toilet paper in on top of the toilet.  Maybe that will make the gap look less ugly, not to mention hide those braces.  Oh well, I guess it doesn't look all bad.  I'm really liking the glass shelf I picked up at Ross, it comes in handy for the toothpaste. 

After going through my photos I realized that I didn't even take pictures of the sidewalk and patio B poured for the side and back of the house.  Right now he is working on covering the patio so we can sit outside when it rains.

All in all it's coming along little by little. 

 

7 comments:

  1. Love your little casita, makes me homesick for mine. So it is not just my house that has the plug in so high, this has annoyed me a time or two as well.
    Love your silver mirror as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are coming right along. Agree about changing out the color in the bedroom, but it doesn't look like Thousand Island Dressing, but rather Pepto Bismol. ;-)
    Such fun to make a house a home, isn't it? Nice to see pictures of your progress. That is one honkin' t.v.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow things are changing and your house is looking like a home. Personally I have to agree about the height of the photos but don't tell B I said so. It takes time to make everything perfect and fortunately you have mucho tiempo. Basket WITH A LID for the toilet top sounds good, how about a skinny tall aloe plant beside it? So when is the final move?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks really good. I love how the bathroom is coming along. Cant wait to see the changes you make when you finally get down here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary: Thanks. Yeah right all plugs are at eye level. Will you be returning soon to your casita?

    Zoe: Yeah that's what I'll call it, Pepto Bismol Pink uggh. Ha ha we are still making some last payments on that TV, we love watching movies. It is very nice to make a home and hope that it all just comes to me because that's what I intend to let happen.

    Contessa: Right the height, I don't know what I was thinking because that was all me B had nothing to do with it ha ha. My thoughts exactly for the basket, I like plants in the bathroom too, is that weired? The final move is the 1st week of October! My last day of work is Sept. 30th! Can you tell I'm excited ha ha Thanks for asking.

    Lisa n Javi: Thanks Lisa, the major changes will most likely start in the bedroom with rearranging and the making of a closet to get all the junk stored away :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Trinidad,

    It is looking great, just take your time as you'll think of things you wish you'd done before you painted anyway!

    Oh I was going to tell you my rule of thumb for pictures. The middle of the picture should be an average person's eye level. We always hang them a touch higher than my eyes, I am 5' 6". I think it works out fine. I wonder what other people do?

    See you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, thanks for the tip I will definitely be more careful next time I start hanging things on the wall!

    ReplyDelete