Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Rats v. Iguanas

During my last stay in Nayarit, I had several unwanted visitors in my home.

Everyday I would sweep the house. As many of you already know, when you live in the country the floor gets full of dirt and dust very quickly.  About every other day I would find what looked to me like droppings, but I could not figure out what animal the droppings were from.

I ended up picking one up to start analyzing it and honestly it just looked like a doo doo about half an inch in size.  So I mosied on over to my mother-in-law's which is a jump and a skip away to see if she could tell me what it was.

"Es de Rana" was here response.  What? De Rana?

She said it was frog poop.  Hmm until now I never thought frogs had excrement that big.  I thought it was from a rat.  I always complain to B that the doors are way too high and that little critters can easily get under the door but he swears that once we put the tile down in the house the gap will get significantly smaller.  Until then however, I have big gaps under my doors.

It's rainy season in Nayarit and when it rains it pours.  It always seems so dramatic when it rains because it comes down so hard, not to mention the lightening and thunder sounds like it hits right beside you.  I think the rain is what brings the animals out of their homes. 

This is not the case for the family dog Muñeca.  She is terrified of any big noises and scampers into the house to hide under a bed.  She doesn't like to be anywhere else other than under a bed.  The only thing is she is not allowed in the house and so we always have to take her outside.  There are several other rooms she can go into but I think she just likes that the bed is right on top of her head so it feels safer.

She is a very good girl in that she can be inside the house for a whole night and morning and she will not use the bathroom.  We often don't know when Muñeca is under the bed because she is so quiet so she ends up spending the night with us.  One time she scared the heck out of me as I woke up to the bed moving up and down with nobody in the room other than me.  I finally got the guts to look under the bed, it was Muñeca wagging her tail like crazy which was making the bed move like crazy.

One day not long after a storm hit, I saw my sister-in-law with a broom looking on at our dog Muñeca.  I walked over to see what was going on only to see she had a present.  An iguana.  Apparently La Muñeca was in the house and my neice told her mom that she had gotten inside but that it was ok because she was trying to get an iguana.  Funny as it may seem my in-laws are scared of the things and La Muñeca knows this, so she went in the house to take care of the situation.



Muñeca was so proud of her kill that she woulnd't let me take it from her right away.  Finally I was able to get the iguana to dispose of it.  My in-laws looked at me in horror as I picked it up by the tail.  It's funny how iguanas, snakes, mice and frogs don't bother me much but put a cockaroach in front of me and I am gone. 

So what's the conclusion to this story.  I will take iguanas over mice anyday, even though they both stink.  Why?  Because I know La Muñeca will take 'em out should one just happen to get in the house!

8 comments:

  1. Lots of critters in Mexico! Your description of the 'poop' brings to mind something we had been finding every morning either on the ground or on a table top ( outside of course). It took 2 weeks to get to the bottom of the problem. I did several posts on it.
    http://www.contessajewall.com/2011/01/07/critter-versus-rv1-tres-amigos/

    The critter made several visits, in fact there were several of them. I sincerely hop it is not this but it does sound like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ewww I would so rather take care of little critters than deal with a snake or iguana.

    I agree with you on the storms down here. I love watching them though they are so much more dramatic than anything in CA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contessa: Ha Ha Yes I remember reading your post. Oh jeez I really do hope that we don't have any tlacuchaes! They don't fit underneath the door but we do leave the doors open occasionaly so I could see how one could just go right in. If it turns out to be that I will be sure to go back to your post and use the same contraption you did as it worked out pretty well! :)

    Lisa n Javi: Really? Little critters drive me crazy! I think I was traumatized as a kid when I had a whole ant farm running up my legs.

    The storms are mesmorizing for me because I have never experienced them to that degree. Plus, in CA it is always cold when it rains and in Nayarit you almost want to jump in the rain to cool off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contessa: Oops I realized I mispelled a word. The critter is known as a tlacuache in spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my fears in the back of my mind of moving to the country in Mexico. Snakes and lizards and etc. Yikes! I've been so much calmer in Juarez - no rats (that I've seen) and no cockroaches in the house, just the huge ones outside. It's good to know that dogs will kill lizards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Give me anything but a large furry spider! I saw my first one the other day but luckily in the carport. Now THOSE freak me out! We had our first daytime storm yesterday and it was wonderful as they usually sneak in during the night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tlacuache can get in thru a tiny opening. That is how they lived ( and died) in some of the rvers last winter. Got in but not out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheryl: Yeah alot of people are scared of them, I guess I should be too really. My nephews have a pet iguana and one time he bit my younger nephew on the finger and broke skin. They do have a good bite.

    Zoe: You know I haven't seen one large furry spider where we live but out in the orchards I come back with all kinds of bugs in/on my clothes...ugh

    Contessa: Interesting I guess they can squeeze into about anything, if I ever find out for sure what it is I'll be sure to tell all.

    ReplyDelete