Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Credencial del Elector

On this last trip to Nayarit we made but one trip to Tepic and I convinced B that we should go get our "Credencial del Elector" which is one of the most important Mexican ID's in Mexico as it is the one used to vote.  I have been itching to get some sort of identification in Mexico so that I could open my own bank account and do other things.

I had tried several other times to get this identification and was told I needed this and that to go here and there when all the time all I needed to get the Credencial del Elector is the following:

1. My Birth Ceriticate (the two originals issued by the Mexican Consulate in San Francisco)
2. 2 witnesses that know you with valid Credenciales del Elector (1 of the witnesses IDs had to be from the county of Tepic)
3. A proof of residence - ie an electricity bill

I have noticed that anytime you try to do most any kind of paperwork you are always asked for a "recibo de luz" or light bill.  So now I am always armed with an electric bill when conducting business.

It turned out we had perfect timing for getting these IDs because as soon as B went into the bank they told him that he needed to get a new one because his was now expired.  In Mexico I believe they use a series number noted on the ID.  Once your series number is retired you have to get the ID renewed.

For item #2 I wasn't able to use B because he didn't have a valid ID so I only had my mother-in-law who could sign as a witness.  On the street in front of a Bancomer Bank she asked an innocent bystander if they would sign as a witness for me even though they didn't know me.  The first person she asked consented, all I remember about her is that her name was Rosario and she was from the San Blas area.  After the agent took her information she was on her way and I heartily thanked her.

The agent filled out all of my paperwork and took my photo.  At the very end of the process I was asked to sign my name and not thinking I signed my name as I normally would in the states.  I forgot that the name I would be using in Mexico would be the name on my Mexican birth certificate not my husbands name that I had taken in the states.  Hmmm I caught it after reviewing the paperwork and asked the agent to change it.  His response was that it didn't matter if my signature didn't match the printed name on the ID but that I had to sign my name exactly as I had signed it on the ID.

I was like really? How weired is that going to be? He insisted that I need not worry about it, but I know this is going to really bother me everytime I take it out for something.  I also wonder if I will have any problems.  Well I guess only time will tell.  The ID was ready for pick up on August 3rd and will remain at that office until I go in person to pick it up.  They will hold it for 2 years and then it will be recycled if it is not picked up. 

Even though my name is wrong on the ID I was happy I existed on paper in Mexico.  I guess I felt like I was officially moving.  Now all I need to work on is getting an address.  I joke and call our house number 3 1/2, but that's another story for another time. 

Tootlz for now.

3 comments:

  1. Muy complicado! I have to agree about the difference in the printed vs signed name, it would drive me crazy with worry. Perhaps one you are really living there you can give it another shot and get it redone. Meanwhile at least you have something even though you have to say it had been done 'Mexican style".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving right along like a greased wheel. Won't be long before you forget you ever lived in the states! '-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contessa: Yes in Spanish for Mexican Style we say "A la Mexicanada!"

    Zoe: Yes, you are quite right my friend :)

    ReplyDelete