Monday, May 16, 2011

My Garage Sale Finds

As many of you may know, I plan on moving down to Mexico this year and would like to take with me as much stuff as I can from here in the states.  Why? Well because the really good stuff is either too expensive or I can't find it in my area. 

Lately I have become a garage sale junkie.  I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg trying to furnish my house and plus I love old stuff and I love repurposing things whenever I can.  The only new things I have purchased are appliances. 

I have no agenda really, if I come accross something that catches my eye I snatch it up.  A co-worker of mine told me about this annual garage sale that occurs in her mother's neighborhood in a nearby town.  I woke up early on Saturday to attend in hopes of finding some treasures.  Here is what I have found so far on my garage sale ventures.

A mahogany bench that doubles as a storage unit with a lid that doesn't come crashing down.  I like that this is has storage because my house has no closets (aahh)! The couple that sold me this piece had it specially made because the husband had a knee injury.  Each morning he would get up and sit on this bench to put his shoes on.  Supposedly it cost aver a $100 to make, I paid $25 dollars for it.  The only thing I am not feeling about this piece is that it feels country to me, I would rather go white for vintage or darker for a more modern look.  I have also thought about just adding some cool looking pillows to give it a different edge.



Next are two floor lamps that cost $10.  Yes, $5 a piece.  I was so excited to have swiped this up! On one garage sale weekend I came across a garage sale sign and followed the arrows to the sale.  When I arrived I was surprised to have found the house of a dear ex co-worker who left work due to health issues.  She looked to be doing very well as apposed to the last time I had been to visit her in the hospital.  She sold me the two lamps, I am not sure if they were so cheap because she knew me or because she wanted to get rid of them.  Whatever the reason I was happy to take them off her hands.  The beige one I gave to my mom and the dark brown one will be going to Mexico.















This next piece I found at a garage sale around the corner from my friend's (ex co-worker) house.  I saw it from afar and fell in love with it.  The woman selling the piece said that it belonged to her mother-in-law and she was sure that it was over 45 years old!  When she said that I just had to have it! I paid $10 for it which to me was a good price because at the flea market in San Jose I saw many of the Last Suppers that size going for $60+.  Right now it hangs in my mom's dining room area.



Ohh la la was my reaction upon seeing this next beauty Saturday.  I particularly like it because it is a long oval mirror and everybody in the family is close to 6 feet tall as is yours truly.  An older woman sold me the mirror for $10.  Again I think I did pretty well as I have seen mirrors smaller than this at Ross for no less than $25.  I was looking for a mirror similar to this for our bathroom in Mexico.  However I am unsure if this kind of granduer will work in our humble bathroom.  If you have forgotten, pictures of Mi Casita show the bathroom, let me know what you think.  I plan on painting it a different color because I am not sure gold will go with my white and silver bathroom. Again I would love to hear your thoughts on this one. 



 
Well that's what I've got so far.  What do you think? Have I been robbed or did I steal?

15 comments:

  1. Superb finds! Especially the lamps, but all were good bargains and will serve you well. I like your word "repurpose"..says it all, doesn't it? We have a tianguis here in Mazatlan and it is a magical place to go early Sunday morning, but as you say, so many things can't be found here at a good price and garage sales/flea markets proliferate in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job!! You have nice taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe: You are quite right. Only, I have had a hard time even finding a tianguis to go to in Tepic. I think once I move down there I will be more in the know.

    Marianne: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did well! I like how each piece has a story that it will take to your casa. About the bench which I just love, I would stain it a deeper cherry color. As to the mirror, I can see it in your bathroom. Not sure about painting it, maybe a swirl of colors???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the advice Contessa! I think I will make the bench my project and the mirror well I'll have to think on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finds! I really like the bench especially because yes there are no closets in Mexico. I think it would look great painted or stained. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trinidad, what are you going to do for internet when you get there?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am at a loss on that one Contessa.

    The problem is that our ranchito doesn't even have a phone line. My mother-in-law has a house phone which is why I thought we had phone lines but it turns out it is one of those phones that you use prepaid phone cards. The two ranches near ours are El Jicote and Navarrete. Both have internet, Navarrete even has their own doctor. It is like we are the runt of the litter. It is funny you know because many families kids that are going to la prepa (high school) travel to San Blas and they have laptops. So the kids are learning to use the technology but don't have full access to it.

    For the time being when I first arrive, I think I will be creating my posts at home, saving them to a flash drive and then post them while passing through a town that has internet. Posting photos will be limited because many of my photos will not load due to slow service. I will not give up though!

    My dream to have my own cyber cafe or papeleria (stationary store)! I plan on starting little with anything really. I just bought a new printer that is a 3 in 1, copier, scanner and printer. At the moment if anyone wants a copy they have to go to the next ranchito to get it, but once I get there they wont have to anymore. I have so many visions and dreams that I would like to accomplish and make life better, bring more education especially to all of the kids.

    Well I rambled on I apologize. But those are my plans. If you have any suggestions I am all ears!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you get cell phone connection there? If so there are ways to get internet in Mexico but I will wait for your answer before explaining. The other thing is a Hughes satellite dish & receiver which we used in Acapulco for several years. It may be about 60.00-100.00 per month after you purchase the equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get a great cell phone connection. I am able to go online with my cell phone from the states. I am not sure I can do 60+ a mo. for internet. I kind of get why it is so expensive, not many people have access to it which is why it costs to bring out to the locations. I hope I can find something that works.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great mirror! I love it so much- the borders are fabulous! You have to have it hung in your room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you get my email with the info re Telcel?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I did not see it, I'm sorry. I'll take a look at it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete