Monday, January 2, 2012

My Comejen Problem - Update

Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

My posts have been sporadic... I know, but I will keep them coming and hopefully more steadily now that the holidays have come and gone.  I had a house full of family visitors and well that just about sums it up. 

If you recall, back in April of last year I posted about having a comejen (termite) problem after having purchased a brand new bedroom set.  The termites ate away happily at my headboard and inn table.  Thankfully the furniture was still under warranty and we were able to return the damaged furniture for new ones.

As I was sweeping away the dirt and dust that the coastal winds brought, I discovered an unfortunate little trail (see below).  They were back (the termites)! Grrrr.  Only this time they did not appear in the bedrooms but in the living room.  I think the termites didn’t return in the same place because B treated the places where he originally discovered them. 



So far, I have destroyed the termite trail 3 times.  B needs to get with it and treat the area before they come back.  However, B is hesitant because his method of treatment involves burned oil and it leaves a large wet looking mark on the cement (we don’t have tiled floors yet).  I told him that eventually it will get covered but since we don’t know when that will be we are trying to preserve the dignity of the floor however ugg it may be.

If  you are not careful and overlook a room you might not see them.  Here is a shot taken further away.



I’m telling you everyday it’s something new.  Ha! And I thought life here would be kick back and relax, I set myself up for that one.  These pictures were taken some weeks ago and we still haven´t treated the area with burned oil but to date the comejenes haven´t returned.

I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that they do not return! 

5 comments:

  1. Cynoff works great. It's odorless and does not stain. Should be able to get it at any agricultrial store. It's about 50p and makes about 4L of solution. Worked great for us in our house and bodega. For termites, you need to mix it stronger - 2L with the contents of the envelope. Buena suerte!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Susan, I don´t believe I´ve heard from you before thank you for commenting. I have noted the name of the product and will look into making that purchase soon because it is much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to hear from you again.
    I am moving into my new house in February and was already debating how much wood furniture I want in there because of the termites...It sounds like one has to be on top of those little buggers all the time...but yet I am so tired of plastic furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My understanding is that you just have to get the furniture treated every so often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary and Contessa: I totally understand. You eventually want to get something comfortable. Like Contessa says maybe its the furniture that needs treating and not the house.

    ReplyDelete