Friday, September 9, 2011

My $5 Coffees

Ok, so I am guilty of enjoying the rediculousness of Peet's $5 coffees.  I can't help it, lately I've gotten much better at taking my own coffee to work and staying away from the coffee mania of Peet's in the morning but not today. 

I woke up rather early to take a family member to the bart station, 6am to be exact, and thus had a ton of time to spare before getting to work.  My solution...I headed to Peet's coffee shop near my work and orded myself a large white mocha with whole milk and whip cream.  Mmmmm. 

Since I've been back, between the bagels with cream cheese and coffees I think I've gained about 10-15 pounds.  YIKES! It's ok because I am 99% sure I will lose it all once I move down to Nayarit. 

As I passed the time in the coffee shop with the much older crowd (which is why I like going to Peet's) I wrote my nephew in boot camp a 5 page letter.  After finishing, I sat outside on one of the benches and longed for some company.  I got to thinking after about 20 minutes how much better I would be enjoying myself sitting on my new patio in good 'ol 5 de Mayo drinking a 5 cent coffee instead of a 5 dollar coffee.

My mother-in-law and I often bond over coffee, it is something we have in common if not anything else we always manage to agree when it's time for café.

Sitting outside that coffee shop made me realize this as everybody walked by me with not so much as a single "hello" much less a "good morning." A realization that my $5 coffees are just that and nothing more. 

All in due time.... for now I wish you all a good morning.

9 comments:

  1. Buenos dias amiga! One thing I love about Mexico is the friendliness of everyone. Even if you don't know someone you are always greeted as you pass each other on the beach or the street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that Contessa and look at us..even from a distance we are shouting out "good morning!" I wonder if it will be the same in Baja since we are so much closer to the border. I hope so. So funny that I haven't even seen our new house yet, but John got home yesterday after taking a load. We go on Wed. It is HOT, HOT, HOT here right now. Trini, those five buck coffees add up..might mean a goat or burro for your garden or???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contessa: Very true. I guess I was in want of some Mexico atmosphere.

    Zoe: How exciting (the move)! I can only imagine how HOT it must be. Yes the $5 coffees are rediculous, which is why I only do it every once in a great while. And at this point it would most likely mean a new plant for the start of my garden. One of my first order of business is getting hold of a bougainvillea and planting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bougainvillea are so inexpensive at the MExican nurseries. You can probably get 2.5 for a $5.00 latte~ First thing I'm going to do on our new site is build a wall of them. I am getting excited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a huge coffee drinker but since I have been trying to eat less after my workouts here I have been having nescafe to take away my hunger for everything else. I would rather have coffee with my milk than the other way around.
    It is true no matter where you go in the US people dont normally great you unless they are trying to get you to buy something. I will miss that when I leave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Contessa: They grow like weeds in Nayarit I'm not even sure I'd have to go to a nursury. Can't wait to see pictures of your garden once you get back.

    Lisa n Javi: I was never a huge coffee drinker either until I started working in an office where they make about 5 pots a day. It grows on you I guess.

    By the way when are you leaving?

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHen I come back from Mexico I am always shocked at what the people here are willing to pay for, like a $5 coffee, but after being back for a month or so the shock wears off and soon I find myself paying for a fancy coffee as well. Here's a little tip that helps, pour a cup of coffee in your blender, add some cream, vanilla (or any other flavoring) some br. sugar, and blend....you have a nice frothy coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will actually be leaving this sat, the 17th. Its already here, I cant believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary: Thanks for the tip I will definitely try it out.

    Lisa n Javi: I knew it was coming up, it's crazy how time creeps up on you. I wish you safe travels.

    ReplyDelete