Monday, May 2, 2011

May's Mango Madness

May is the official month of Mangos in the San Blas area of Nayarit. 

If you were standing on a high hillside in the middle of a mango orchard, you would most likely get a view like the one in the photo at the top of my blog. 

Standing in the midst of an orchard you would get what you see below, having  to watch where you step to avoid being smacked in the face with one of these sweet tasting fruits.

Kay Mango
May is the month that all of the fruit is ready for picking, the month where you see seasonal workers come up from Chiapas, a month where everybody's pocket books are full of money to spend.

Most, if not all families in our ranchito, live year round off of what they reap from their mango orchards.  After a long year of patiently nurturing the trees, killing off the hormigas (ants), weeding all of the wild growing plants, and maintaining the roads, the people finally get to see the end product of a hard year's work; mangos and the money the orchards bring.

Don Humberto and B checking up on the newly planted orchard's progress
Since I have been down to Nayarit several times, I have been able to see how mangos are cared for and what they look like at different times of the year.  Plus, I learned there are several varieties of mangos grown in the area: tommy, kay, manila, ataulfo and mango corriente.

The mango that I am most familiar with here in the states is the tommy mango which has a beautiful reddish purple color.  In the picture below, the mangos weren't quite ripe so they appear to be very purple, but at the time they are picked they have a greener color.


Tommy Mango (left), Mango Corriente (right)

Before mangos can be planted a piece of land must be cleared of all wild brush and palms, or what I like to call "jungle brush."  Once there is space, mango corriente is planted in early spring before the rains.  The mango corriente is a very small variety of mango which is used to combine with a specific variety of mango desired by the owner.  The trees take advantage of the rainy season and grow strong.


Jungle Brush

After approximately a year, it is time to "injertar." I am not sure how this translates in English, but the process is as follows.  The tree's small branches are bandaged with a branch from a mature mango tree of a particular variety, depending on what is desired by the owner.  Over time, the part of the tree that grows is the mature adult branches that were bandaged to the mango corriente. This is how the mango trees yield specific types of mango. 

If not all of the branches are bandaged, you will sometimes end up with a tree that gives both mango corriente (a small tasty mango) and another variety.  This can be seen in the picture above as I am near the tommy mangos on the left of the picture and Don Humberto is grabbing a mango corriente, both varieties growing for the same tree.

In approximately two years the trees will start yielding fruit.  In January the mangos start off as itty bitty balls.

Baby Kay Mango

Once they reach closer to maturity, they increase in size and weigh down the branches of the tree prompting "orquetas" to be made.  Orquetas are long sticks made out of wood with a Y point at one end, these are used to prop up the branches so that they do not touch the ground.  Ideally this should be done early on as the fruit are growing and not at the last minute.  Can you imagine trying to prop up a branch full of heavy mangos?

One of my favorite mango trees is the ataúlfo.  In full maturity, the mangos hanging from the branches look like rain drops. 

Ataulfo Mango
Every once in a while among the great mango trees you will come across a papayo...

Papayo

Or just a big scary tree....


This tree looks like it could be in a scary movie.  Hey, when you are out in the middle of nowhere and all you hear is the breeze of the wind and the animals around you, your mind starts to wonder. This picture does not do it's size justice, it truly is enormous.

At the end of the mango season, the trees are bursting with fruit and are ready for picking.  The orchards are either sold to a buyer and the buyer does the harvesting of the fruit, or the owner harvests the fruit and then sells to a buyer.  Depending on the negotiations between buyer and seller either method can be favorable for either party. 

Please note I have only shared the basic idea of growing mangos in hopes that you can get an idea of the amount of hard work and love that the people put into their orchards. 

Among the many things I learned from Don Humberto was that the orchards are a reflection of the people who work them.  I remember him saying often as we would pass mango orchards "mira que bonito esta esa huerta, señal de que lo cuidan bien (look how beautiful that orchard is, it shows how well it is looked after)." 

The people take pride in their orchards, and so when I pass by one of them I often think about the families who care for them.

Don Humberto sitting in the shade of a mango tree

13 comments:

  1. How cool. I did not realize how many different types there are. Before I met Javi and his family I dont think I ever had mango before and when I did try it it took a while for my taste buds to decide they like the taste but now I really like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore mangos. I buy several, peel them like a banana, stand over the kitchen sink and just eat and let the juice dribble down my chin into the sink. I can't get the next one peeled fast enough! I used to try and cut them until I found the peeling method. Oh my!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you so much for this post, I always miss mango season on the Island. I believe the English word for "injertar" might be "grafting". As my Mexican friends were driving me through the plantation and mango groves on the Island I heard this exact phrase from them "mira que bonito esta esa huerta, señal de que lo cuidan bien" thank-you for the explanation. I have always thought that farming and fishing are the most honorable occupations out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mangos are a favorite in our home. Thanks to your great post there will be great respect for all the work that goes into their growth and harvest. Excellent post Trinidad. At the same time you have given us a glimpse of Don Humberto and his love of the land, a wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa n Javi: Wow you had never tasted a mango, but they are soo tasty! We always prepare them with the chile, lemon, and salt.

    Zoe: Yes, certain varieties are good peeled like the ataulfo mango. My suegro would always pull one off of the tree, start peeling and eating. It was so cute to watch him chow down on one. :)

    Mary: You are quite right my friend. Grafting! The word escaped me as I was writing this post, thanks. Caring for mango orchard's is hard work, it is nice when someone lets you know how beautiful they are.

    Contessa: Thank you Contessa! It is funny that you mention Don Humberto. When I started writing my intent was to explain the process of growing mangos, as I stated early on in my post. However, as I kept writing I realized that it was much more than that and there lie a deeper meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also wanted to say I really like the dark font you are using. It is very user friendly. It almost looks like comic sans...is it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a mango seed that Colin took out of the pit and it is now sprouting. We have it between wet paper towels on a plate. We would like to plant it eventually, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zoe: I am so glad you commented on the font! I have been waiting to see if anyone liked or disliked it. I was trying to give the blog a little more character and I wasn't sure if this font was easy on the eyes. I'm glad you like it! This is not Sans Serif, but good guess. This font has an interesting name, it's called Cherry Creme Soda. Don't know how they came up with that one!

    Contessa: Spoke to B about your question and he said your best bet to have it grow would be to fill a bag full of dirt and poke holes in the bottom of the bag. Than place the pit in the center and water it every day.

    I was just wondering if you planned on planting it in Canada because I don't think it will survive the cold. B originally told me to have you put in the ground 6-8 inches under the soil but I told him it was really cold and snowing in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cherry creme soda?! Well, guess I can be fairly certain THAT one didn't come on my computer as a choice! I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tell B that we will try it but fill a large plant pot with soil and try that way. It will be just for this summer but I would like to start one in Mazatlan and plant it. I wonder if Zoe would would start a seed for me??? Then I could plant it in my garden on the Isla.

    Trinidad I did a link at the bottom of one of my recent posts to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Zoe, go to Google Web fonts & cherry creme soda, you can down load it.


    http://www.google.com/webfonts/family?family=Cherry+Cream+Soda&subset=latin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, thanks for the link Contessa!

    I just wanted to say that when I was explaining to B about your question I used the word seed in spanish which is "semilla" and he started laughing at me and said no it's a "hueso" which translated to English is bone. I told him how can you laugh at me when now I'm saying bone!? Anyway I justified the translation with in English it would be called a pit? Anyway just thought I would share that, it was a good laugh.

    Your idea sounds great, good luck with the mango tree! I look forward to hearing how it goes.

    Zoe: I'm glad you like it. Looks like Contessa has set you up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi every one.
    iam sheeraz from pakistan . we are facing devastating flood right now. i have mango garden of 55 acres , which is in under flood water and water have been coming in for 7 days and it would be coming for next 20 days more. can any one tell me what will happens with my mango trees. how many days a mango tree can survive in flood water.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete