Thursday, May 5, 2011

"La Mojiganga"

HAPPY 5 DE MAYO!!

Celebrating 5 de Mayo while in Ejido 5 de Mayo is a 2 day celebration.  I titled this post "La Mojiganga" instead of "5 de Mayo" because I'm not giving a history lesson but rather sharing how it is celebrated in the small town I will be living in.

La Mojiganga con Banda
I had the opportunity last year to be in 5 de Mayo during the 5 de Mayo celebration.  Previously called "El Ciruelo," 5 de Mayo changed it's name many years ago.  In my last post I talked about how families make all of their money in May after selling their mango orchards.  Well they not only make most of their money in May but spend a lot of it in May as well during these fiestas.

Yesterday was the coronation of the town queen.  Every year there are runners for the title of the queen.  A parade is held throughout the town and the queen is crowned in a ceremony.  After these events, a dance is held with a DJ and everybody dances all night and spends time with the family. 

Today the fesitivities include "La Mojiganga," which believe me I had never heard of in my life untill I met my husband.  He described to me the fesitivites; "Well all of us burly men, get dressed up by our families as women and dance all through the town."  What???!  Yeah I couldn't believe it, it is a rather odd tradition but one very looked forward to in town. 

Say What!

So hot!
I falied to mention that the temperatures today in Nayarit are soaring.  According to B they aren't too hot this year compared to last year when I attended.  I'll have to admit I missed some of the festivities because I couldn't bear standing out in the sun and melting like a popsicle.  It's not very becoming to be in that state.  I guess I need to get used to that kind of climate first, before subjecting myself to that kind of torture.


A line of men waiting to cut in ha ha

After all of the dancing through the streets, everybody heads over to the jaripeo (rodeo) usually set up on the sports field.  The men dressed as women dance some more and everybody laughs and enjoys themselves despite the hot weather.  Then the jaripeo begins!


B gets all decked out for the jaripeo, and you kind of have to because if you wear anything other than boots and a sombrero while in the arena, you get all messed up and dirty (I learned this the hard way). 


So that is what's in store for Ejido 5 de Mayo today!  I am sure the whole family will enjoy the fesitivities as they do every year.  Wish I could be there, but then there is always next year.

4 comments:

  1. sounds crazy, I also have never heard this one thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Very interesting. I love how all the holidays are celebrated in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda & Lisa: Yeah kind of crazy but very funny nonetheless. I just found out that my husband stepped in for one of the guys participating because he (the guy) hurt himself. I can't wait to see the video of B all dressed up as a girl and dancing away ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. A new one for me also! One of the things I love about Mexico is that everyone lives life to the fullest each day! Interesting comment about the weather not being as warm as normal.......the planet & Mother Nature are not happy with us!

    ReplyDelete