Saturday, May 14, 2011

My Cooking Phobia

B's sisters whipping up a batch of shrimp ceviche

When I first met my husband I didn't know how to cook very well.  So when he told me how much of a seafood person he was you can imagine my reaction.  I was not thrilled to say the least.

I have a cooking phobia, for some reason I always feel like I am performing on a stage in front of thousands of people.  Whenever it is up to me to whip something up for guests, or my husband, I get stage-fright tears and all. 

Well, it's been over three years now since I first met my husband and after figuring out how to remove the head of a shrimp without squeezing all of it's brains out I think I've made progress.  I must defend my husband and everyone around me in saying that the person putting all of the pressure on me was myself.  My husband never made me cook, or made me feel bad when something didn't come out quite right.

I will have to say that my upbringing included everything Mexican except the fact that I was a girl and was hardly ever in the kitchen.  My father (father was the strict one) always allowed me to do all of the outside chores and play in the dirt as much as I wanted as long as I was doing good in school.  I paid dearly for making those choices as a young child because later on in life I felt very insecure about not being able to cook.

I would always say, put me in front of a computer, in a car, an office, behind a lawn mower and I could get the job done.  But put me in a kitchen and I went straight for the back door.  I was very upset for a long time that I allowed myself to be ignorant in the kitchen.  When I wanted very much to have dinner parties and couldn't supply the food myself it became very frustrating.  I wanted to fill everybody's tummies with delicious food of my doing and hear laughter in my home. 

In 5 de Mayo, I know that food will have to be prepared everyday.  For one because the choices of eating out are very limited, two it would probably get to be 'spensive and third it gets tiring after a while.  My heart so desires to be with my husband but I also know that with that comes an entirely different way of living. 

My current daily routine involves an 8-4:30 job Monday through Friday.  Sit in traffic for a couple hours each day to get to and from work and then once I get home I'm pooped out.  I have always gone to school, worked or both.  I was never a housewife, and I feel that I may start having withdraws once I settle down in 5 de Mayo. 

So what's this all boil down to?  The clock is ticking and pretty soon I will have to hold my own.  I am not as bad as I used to be about cooking.  I have recently learned several recipies and would like to start sharing them with some of you to show that even the most unskilled cook can whip something up that is pretty fantastic. 

What was the reason behind this post?  I was asked to make a chile for a carne asada (bbq) tomorrow and I felt very honored that I made something so good that I was being requested to make it again.  This may seem frivolous to many but for me it is a grand accomplishment.

Would you like some authentic Mexican cooking where everything is done ranchero style?  If so you have come to the right place because I think I will share what I am learning in hopes to hear everything I'm doing wrong, what I might add, or that somebody else liked it too.

In the process I hope to crush this cooking phobia once and for all. 

5 comments:

  1. Awwww! I think that it's great that you're in the kitchen, conquering your cooking phobia. It's nothing to be afraid of.

    I spent most of my childhood in my grandmother's kitchen and I still get cooking stage-fright when I cook for my in-laws. I can cook for anyone in the world with no problem. But as soon as I know that I'm cooking for my in-law's I get so unbelievably nervous. Funny thing is, I only get cooking fright, not baking fright. Baking I can handle. It's the cooking that worries me. LOL! :)

    Looking forward to seeing what recipes you'll be sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fun to watch Mexicans cook and they do it almost without thinking about it. Many men as well as women. Soon you will be picking up that knife and have the meal prepared before you even know you're doing it, because you will be laughing and talking in the kitchen and that becomes the spice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to be in awe of those that could put a great meal on the table day after day simply by opening their fridge, looking inside and cooking. I always needed a menu planned a week in advance so I could the ingredients on hand. It has taken many years but I am finally starting to loosen up in the kitchen. I think it has come about because of our time in Mexico, the daily delivery of fresh produce, fish, basically anything you need if offered at your door on a daily basis. You just can't go wrong, it doesn't matter how you put it together, because it's fresh it tastes wonderful. Having a few 'special' items that only you prepare does help. Have fun at the BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you for conquering your fear. I think its great and after more practice you will be just as good as your sister in laws.
    I have to say I will be fighting things similar to this. And I agree with leslie, cooking with or for my in-laws is pretty stressfull. It is so weird, I love cooking but when I am around them its like I have never cooked before and I get soo nervous. His mom and sisters just do everything without thinking about it and I am trying my hardest to pay attention and keep up. Dont worry we will get there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie: I have a newfound respect for your cooking blog. It's hard work posting how-to's for cooking. You have done an excellent job and would like to try some of yours out as well. I have long ago had that intention but will finally get it done. And yes the in-laws always seem to do that to us all! lol

    Zoe: Well said my friend. That is exactly what I envision in my dreams. Cooking up a storm while I'm talking and laughing with my family. My mother-in-law is exactly as you describe other Mexican cooks, paying no mind to what goes in the pot and I'm over their trying to make mental notes...a pinch of this and a throw of that oh my!

    Contessa: Yes, I am at that stage now. I have to prepare otherwise I don't have what I need on hand to whip out a dinner. It is so true that in Mexico it is a daily thing, the man that sells shrimp will pass by one day and we'll pick up a few kilos (there's a lot of us) and suddenly decide to have ceviche, or camarones a la diabla. I'll have been thinking all night what will I make tomorrow and in a matter of 1 min. (the time it takes the shrimp man to round the corner to our house) my mother-in-law decides we will be eating shrimp. I have to say it's so fast pace for my poor soul.

    Lisa: Oh my the in-laws. I freeze up when I have to go in the kitchen with them lol. I know a little too but as soon as I wonder into the kitchen with them around I clam up. It's getting better but a lot of it has to do with getting to know them better and literally throwing myself out there. It is hard but I am determined to make it work.

    Yes we will get there one day and then before we know it somebody will be trying to keep up with us!

    ReplyDelete