Monday, November 14, 2011

Swindled?

I´m taking my fellow blogger Contessa´s advice and am going to throw myself into this by posting about daily life here at home in Nayarit.  This place is truly like "Peyton´s Place," but more of that later.

-------
Today was the 2nd time I made tortillas by hand, or as they say here in Mexico “tortie” (pronounced: tor-tea-e).  The 1st time I tried, the tortillas came out a little burned but I think I’m starting to get the hang of it because today I didn’t burn them.  It’s not too difficult to make tortillas there is simply several things one must be aware of because if one is amiss then your tortillas suffer the consequences.  Making tortillas is an art into itself and I will go into how they are made in more detail later.  For now I will simply tell you that I’m tackling the task of tortiando daily.

Earlier today two men were driving down the street announcing that they repair refrigerators, stoves & washing machines.  We asked them to stop because the fridge my suegra (mother-in-law) gave us isn’t cooling as it should.  Reluctantly, my suegra called them over.  I say reluctantly because in the past other people have paraded down the street announcing their handy work capabilities and end up swindling my suegra out of her money leaving her only with broken appliances.

We told the two men that we had a fridge that needed fixing but weren’t very trusting because we have been swindled in the past.  They assured us that they were honest men who live in Tepic and work the surrounding ranches repairing old appliances.  After about 15 minutes of discussion, we (B, my suegra and I) agreed to let them fix the fridge.  We also had them unclog the stove (also given to us by my suegra) because one of the burners wasn’t working.  They fixed both (supposedly) and charged us $800 pesos; $750 for the fridge and $50 for the stove. 

We plugged the fridge in and it seems as if it is cooling more but only time will tell whether or not we too have been swindled.

Wish us luck!

-Trinidad

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think it is not so much people swindling, but being over confident that they know HOW to repair something and going at it full tilt boogie whether they are certain or not. At least, in Mexico, so many know how to do so many things which I love. Also, normally you know where to find 'em again! '-) Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Zoe.

    So glad you are posting again Trinidad. Looking forward to hearing about everything there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, I hope your appliances keep working. Yes, just write about your daily life....oh, you can never go wrong with food stuff....just sayin is all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola amiga, its good to hear from you. I miss reading your posts. Hope everything works out with your appliances and hope to hear more soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello all,

    I´m trying hard to get back into the groove of things but find it very hard. I would love to have my own internet connection and plan on looking into it very soon. Maybe I should try posting weekly as it seems that is how long it takes me to revisit el ciber.

    ReplyDelete