Friday, June 3, 2011

Mystery Fruit

I read an excellent post about pitayas, a "delicious cactus fruit" as Leslie a fellow blogger put it, which reminded me of a cactus fruit that I love. (Leslie I hope you don't mind the link, if so please yell at me and I will remove it immediately).

Years ago while visiting my grandmother's ranchito Cosalima Zacatecas, I climbed up a nearby hill and came across a cactus with little purple balls growing on it.  They looked a little like a cross between grapes and cherries.

I was told these little fruits were delicious and that I should try one.  They turned out to be very tasty and I vowed to not forget the name because I was curious if anybody else knew about them.  In Zacatecas they are called garambuyos however they may have a different name in other regions of Mexico. 

Has anybody ever tried these before or something similar?


4 comments:

  1. If I remember right here they call them "tunas". Whatever the name, they are YUMMY and I love them. They even sell them in the grocery store during the season; but are better bought from a local person as they are fresher then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I didn't think these were tunas because I thought they only grew on pencas or flater cactus plants. We used to have a cactus in our backyard that grew tunas and I seem to remember them looking different at that stage of growth.

    But who knows they could be tunas! Nontheless they are very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm stumped and so is Hubby! Haven't seen these little fruits around here. But before I throw in the towel completely, I'm going to ask my brother-in-law to see if he knows.

    And no, I don't mind the link! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe I know what you are talking about. I remember visiting my aunt and uncles in chihuahua and hiking up into the mountains (not too high up) with a pair of tongs we would hold on to little fruit ball (it was all prickly) and with a sharp knife we would slice the top off the ball and then scoop the jelly out with a spoon. If you email me your email address I will send you a picture. I also do not remember the name of it.
    sierrado0528@excite.com

    ReplyDelete